OFF: Gong

Keith A Henderson khenders at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Tue Feb 6 10:17:37 EST 1996

First, Bill gives us this piece of bad news:

> If you wanna catch Blake with Gong it might be wise to catch the East Coast
> shows, as there is a rumor goin round he won't be on the entire tour.  Whos
> goin to the NYC shows?
> regards,
> Bill Stewart

But then, it gets worse, as I see this posting elsewhere....  :(

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Here's  the actual, *real* (as in Daevid and Gilli bought their
>tickets today so there's no turning back now) tour dates as of
>today, via a friend involved in booking them.

Apologies, I've spread some mis-information in my entusiastic
haste to get the word out.  First off, I should have mentioned the
dates are all subject to change, and a few have already. The
tour is definitely happening and I should have posted with a
TOUR CONFIRMED header instead implying the dates all
were. My biggest goof up was including Tim Blake's name
though, as Tim isn't going to make it. He was on the tentative
lineup last I heard of plans before posting the tour info and I
mistakenly assumed he was in still going to be coming too.  I'm
sorry if I gave anyone a false impression Tim would be here,
I believed and hoped he would be. It'll still be the only "classic:"
Gong tour the US has ever seen. And I hear there a possibility that
if the turnout is good that may help book some other cities
in a future tour. If there ever is another tour.

Here's the corrected dates as of now. Note the shuffling of
Boston dates, the possible Montreal gig at a club that's
hedging and could use some local support, no shows
in Ashland or New Haven now and a possible flux
in the SF showdates too.

>Tour Dates: all in March 1996

1, 2   Quebec City - La Salle JP Tardiff

3rd   (was  Boston   - Johnny D's  -- was tentative, now gone!)
cancelled, possible Montreal show at Club Soda, call them to
urge it to happen! see other Boston date below...

4th    New Haven  - Toad's
(was tentative,  looks not happening now...)

5th    NYC - Bottom Line

6th    Boston  -- Mama ??? (some club owned by Aerosmith)
                  I guessing Mama Kin here....Keith H.
7th    Alexandria, VA   --  the BirchMere  (near Wash DC)

8th    Baltimore MD  8x10
9th    Cleveland - Odeon
   Now at the ODEON not Agora

10th  Chicago  Cubby Bear, tix on sale now
11th  Milwaukie  -  the Shank Hall
13th  Kansas City Missouri  - The Drum Room
15th  Denver -  The Mercury Cafe
16th  Seattle -  Backstage
17th  Portland, Oregon    Berbetties

 cancelled      18th  Ashland, OR  (CANCELLED!)

18th - 19th  San  Francisco  -  Great American Music Hall

20th  Los Angeles   Luna Park
end of tour

BTW, there were apparently some tentative explorations of booking
shows this tour in Austin, so Texas was considered  but apparently
there wasn't sufficent interest. Maybe next time. There were a lot of
cities they would have liked to fit into this tour but couldn't.

end forwarded message

Do all the cool bands have to have these same problems???  Well, I'll still get
to see a nearly complete Gong, although without Blake, it'll be missing
something I think.  Wonder who will take over on synth...

Well, at least I won't be having to drive all the way to NY now... :)

Keith H.