HW: Lemmy interview

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Thu Feb 8 08:05:34 EST 1996

> I don't know about that, but I have here an interview (or at least a clip of
> an interview) w/Lemmy where he mentions HW, but I just noticed that he says
> it's 16 years after he formed MH, so it obviously couldn't be from '79.

        This interview is from the '91 European Tour.  It appears on the
_Everything Louder Than Everything Else_ video.

> "I got fired from Hawkwind. You know actually, HW was very similar to
> Motorhead. If you listen inside HW, there's a 3-piece rock band. You got all
> this dilelee and toot-toot on the top, but inside there's a rock band, a
> 3-piece rock 'n' roll band.
>
> Always count on an interesting interview from the Lemmer, eh? HW a 3-piece
> rock 'n' roll band?? Not quite!

        No, but he's right about there being one inside--bass, drums, and
guitar has always formed the core of Hawkwind.  (The post-Harvey line
up pretty much proves this! ;)
        Motorhead itself seems to function best as a three-piece: the
classic Taylor/Clarke/Kilmister lineup shows this, and recent glowing
reports of the Dee/Campbell/Kilmister lineup seem to indicate that
the band is moving from strength to strength now that they've they've
dropped the second guitarist.

        I reckon it comes from the standard late-60s British blues-based
band lineups: Cream, Zep, Tull, Hendrix, Sabbath etc.  In the States you
tended to get lineups that more regularly included a rhythm guitarist as
part of the band's core: Byrds, Airplane, Dead, CCR, and ... BOC ;)

        That's an amateur musicologist's view though, so I wouldn't
want to have to defend it in court.

Cheers,
Carl