Important! BOC Lyric Copyrights and the WWW, FTP

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Thu Feb 8 10:08:54 EST 1996

> Well, now this brings up an interesting point.  One of my arguments for
> keeping BOC lyrics, tabs, and whatever available on the net is that this
> is being done, at least in part, to *promote* the band.  I know from doing
> the FAQ that there are many people who are "rediscovering" BOC based on
> alot of the net activity associated with the band (I'm not trying to take
> all the credit BTW, there are many web sites, on-line chats, the archives,
> this list, etc. that are being discovered by old BOC fans), which in turn
> in some sense might encourage those people to go out and buy more BOC
> material -- those of you on this list:  how many of you have had a
> re-kindled interest in BOC since joining BOC-L?  Have you bought a BOC
> tape or CD since then, and would you have bought it had you not been on
> BOC-L?  See, I think all of this "information sharing" is a two-way
> street.  Hey, maybe BOC-L should claim "advertising fees" for sales of
> *Workshop of the Telescopes*! ;-)

Good point here, JOhn.  I imagine the band is wise enough to realize
this as well.  I've been a BOC diehard fan for over 20 years, but
I've bought cd versions of BOC records I already own, on more than
one occasion, because of threads running through BOC-l.  I've gone
back and revisited many songs/albums I'd neglected.  Also, one is
more likely to hear of out-of-town concerts through the list.  I, for
one, am always willing to travel reasonable distances to see my
heroes.   I'd never hear about these concerts if I relied on my local
newspaper.

theo>