bootleg/counterfeit

Thu Feb 8 16:29:26 EST 1996

Just a few comments on Deb's input:

> Many venues have clearly posted signs warning
that taping is not permitted.

In one of my conversations with Bolle , he talked about this, and his
claim was that the only reason that venues can prohibit this is that
the recorder or camera can be used as "a weapon" (which is a pretty
ridiculous argument against allowing such devices) - I don't know if this
is true, but this is presumably based on his experience working in music
venues.

>on the other hand, as an artist, I don't dig having my more
embarrassing moments circulated

Care to share with us? ;-)  I do understand.  As a person, I don't
particularly dig having my more embarassing moments in life brought
up in conversation, never mind seeing or hearing them played back
to me.  But if a show is taped (in the "tradition of rock and roll"
as you mention), whether or not it's actually bootlegged (i.e., copied
and distributed to a wider audience) or just traded among fans, it's
going to be out there in some form, and it may just be a question of
how many copies are in circulation.

>obviously, when the "bootleg" is just
another extension of a dedicated fan's considerable investment-- emotional as
well as monetary--they've already got the CD or whatever, they just want as
much as they can get  and it's for their personal use and for sharing their
enthusiasm, turning other people on--

Agreed, and that's why I'd want 'em.  I can't really see much other reasons
for wanting them.  They are usually sonically inferior, and much harder
to come by than the legit stuff.

John