bootleg/counterfeit

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Thu Feb 8 16:53:07 EST 1996

> >obviously, when the "bootleg" is just
> another extension of a dedicated fan's considerable investment-- emotional as
> well as monetary--they've already got the CD or whatever, they just want as
> much as they can get  and it's for their personal use and for sharing their
> enthusiasm, turning other people on--
>
> Agreed, and that's why I'd want 'em.  I can't really see much other reasons
> for wanting them.  They are usually sonically inferior, and much harder
> to come by than the legit stuff.
>
> John

Couldn't agree more.  I think the point of contention is that
indescriminate taping creates an atmosphere where people begin to
think that 'it's okay to tape stuff.'  From there, is it much of an
extension to tape other stuff, e.g., commercially available stuff,
etc.?  I think bands are uptight about it 'cause the temptation is
always out there for some asshole to try to make a buck off their
artwork.  Hence the reluctance to sanction taping
theo