HW: Lemmy interview

HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM
Thu Feb 8 17:02:55 EST 1996

On  8-FEB-1996 08:39:11.6 BOC-L said to HERBERT119
   >08 Feb 1996 13:05 +0000 (GMT)
   >Date: Thu, 08 Feb 1996 13:05:34 +0000
   >From: "Carl E. Anderson" <cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK>
   >Subject: Re: HW: Lemmy interview
   >Sender: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
   >To: Multiple recipients of list BOC-L <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
   >> I don't know about that, but I have here an interview (or at least a
   >clip o f
   >> an interview) w/Lemmy where he mentions HW, but I just noticed that
   >he says
   >> it's 16 years after he formed MH, so it obviously couldn't be from
   >'79.
   >This interview is from the '91 European Tour.  It appears on the
   >_Everything Louder Than Everything Else_ video.
   >> "I got fired from Hawkwind. You know actually, HW was very similar to
   >> Motorhead. If you listen inside HW, there's a 3-piece rock band. You
   >got al l
   >> this dilelee and toot-toot on the top, but inside there's a rock
   >band, a > 3-piece rock 'n' roll band.
   >>
   >> Always count on an interesting interview from the Lemmer, eh? HW a
   >3-piece > rock 'n' roll band?? Not quite!
   >No, but he's right about there being one inside--bass, drums, and
   >guitar has always formed the core of Hawkwind.  (The post-Harvey line
>up pretty much proves this! ;)

Absolutely, but I just feel that referring to HW as nothing more than a rock
'n' roll band is underrating them. Don't we all love 'em because they were
never in the least bit ordinary? The "dileelee (sp) and toot-toot" is often
what makes a HW song. And then you have pieces that don't even have
bass/drums to them... "Mists Of Meridin", "Life Form", "Sonic
Attack", "Down Through The Night
etc., those are the farthest things from R&R. Many of their songs lack a
traditional structure...or any structure at all.
Of course, you could
take Doremi and remove the extras and you might have pretty much an rock
album, and there are other exceptions, but...

Chuck
`[1;31;44mRainbow V 1.19.4 for Delphi - Test Drive