HW: help identifying tape 11/5/80

cjohnson cjohnson at SUR1A.HPSC.HISD.HARRIS.COM
Fri Feb 9 09:59:14 EST 1996

  Bernhard Pospeich wrote:
>What I know for sure is:
>
>- the tapes from ST.ALBANS and TREFOREST are absolute identical
>- TREFOREST never appeared on advertisments for the 1980 tour
>- ST ALBANS appeared on advertisments for the 1980 tour
>- I have the TREFOREST tape (and venue) from ADRIAN PARR
>- but his TREFOREST tape was identical to my ST ALBANS tape!!
>
>ADRIAN PARR has listed this TREFOREST tape on 07.11.1980. But this can't be
>right because HAWKWIND do not play DANGEROUS VISION on this tape, but in
>CHELMSFORD the night before and in DONCASTER 3 days later the played this track
.

Bernhard, your analysis of Adrian Parr's date sounds correct - 5.11.80
makes more sense than 7.11.80 for a show with this setlist.  Perhaps
on 6.11.80 at Chelmsford was the very first time that "Dangerous Vision"
was played live?

  Question for the UK folks:
Is Treforest, South Wales anywhere near St.Albans?  Is there a large
distance between these two towns, or are they close enough to perhaps
allow a not-so-alert hippy tape trader :-) to confuse which town
he was actually in?

If they are not close enough to actually justify a legitimate mix-up,
how about the order that the venues are played during this week?
..cut..
>Norwich         University      01-Nov-80  Sat
>London          Hammersmith     02-Nov-80  Sun
>London          Hammersmith     03-Nov-80  Mon
>Croydon         Fairfields Hall 04-Nov-80  Tue
>Trefforest      Town Hall       05-Nov-80  Wed
>Chelmsford      Odeon           06-Nov-80  Thu
>Cardiff         Polytechnic     08-Nov-80  Sat
>Hull            City Hall       09-Nov-80  Sun
>Doncaster       Rotters         10-Nov-80  Mon
>Grimsby         Central Hall    11-Nov-80  Tue
..cut..

Is playing in the towns of London/Croyden/Treforest/Chelmsford, in
exactly that order, likely to be a relevent fact?  Or are they all
close enough in proximity to each other that nightly travel to any
of them could be equally likely?

I think it unlikely that BOTH Treforest and St.Albans were played at,
simply because there is so little slack in the very tight gig schedule.
The only days off from the start and end of the tour were 18/10,
23/10, 27/10, 7/11, and 12/11.  And on 6/11/80 we know that a song
was played that does not appear on the tape we are trying to identify.

Perhaps we can still narrow down what date Treforest was most likely
played at, assuming that Treforest is where the gig actually happened.
Then there is still the issue of whether tapes labelled as Treforest
or as St.Albans were *actually* recorded at either of these venues --
when the date is wrong, sometimes the venue is wrong too...  :-(

Captain Cloud
cjohnson at sur1a.hpsc.hisd.harris.com