Imaginos remakes and outtakes

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Tue Feb 13 09:15:09 EST 1996

> >         Well sorry ya'll didn't go ga ga over the remake. It was quite
> > conciously made "commercial" by Pearlman and Columbia Brass. I thought the
> > track was kinda cool myself.
>
> Who knows what we might have thought of it, if it wasn't a remake.

        Probably would have liked it.  As a youngster in BOC fandom terms
I heard the _Imaginos_ version first, and thought it was cool.  Then
when I heard the original, I thought it was cool as well.
        It is often so that when people have gotten used to hearing
something a certain way, they balk at changes.  The "classicness" syndrome
strikes again ;)  (Obviously this doesn't cover all the cases, though).

> would you believe that the song I
> hear named most often as the song wich really 'makes the album' is...
> "Magna of Illusion" ?  It seems to be a great fan favorite (even
> though I think most people would agree that it's probably not well
> suited to have been a single).  :-)

        Bizarre.  It took me a long while to warm to "Magna".  It
took me nearly as long to warm to "BOC" and I have yet to warm to
the chorus of "Imaginos" ;)
        What I instantly liked on the album, apart from "I Am the One"
and the MHA (most holy "Astronomy" ;) was "Siege and Investiture ...".
Great piece.  (And one I can't really see _anyone_ being able to cover
respectively ;)

Cheers,
Carl