OFF: Aliens are coming

J Strobridge eset08 at CASTLE.ED.AC.UK
Tue Feb 13 13:18:12 EST 1996

> > Martyn White writes:
> >
> > > Prof Robert Rood, of Harvard, said: "The civilisation that blurts out its
> > > existence on interstellar beacons at the first opportunity may be like some
> > > early hominid descending from the trees and calling 'Here, kitty' to a
> > > sabre-toothed tiger."
> >
> > It's gonna be kinda bad if the Earth gets trashed because the aliens are
> > annoyed about the last episode of Dynasty.
> >
> > FoFP
> >
> > "Never mind your leader earthling, where's the Hawkwind gig?"
>
> Hey, have you seen the trailers lately for a flick called
> 'Independence Day,' where earth gets invaded by a gigantic alien
> spacechip?  Looks really jingoistic, in a Reaganesque sort of way:
> 'Independence Day:  When we fight back!' Gotta spend that 'peace
> dividend' somehow.
> theo

Watching tv the other night there was a programme about the Star Wars
Defence screen and its research offshoot HAARP (can't remember the
expanded version - High Altitude Antenna Radio something?) currently
under construction in Alaska which is basically just a load of
transmitters beaming short wave radio transmissions up into the
atmosphere to generate intense activity in the ionosphere which is then
reflected back to Earth.    Apparently one of the tests was to play
Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" into the layer and it reflected back
perfectly.

Now surely here's a chance for a live Hawkwind gig.....

They reckon if they get the transmissions right one of the possibilities
might even be weather control if they could persuade the ionosphere to
deflect the Gulf Stream.

The potential here is wonderful!

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at castle.ed.ac.uk