Imaginos remakes and outtakes

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Tue Feb 13 13:31:07 EST 1996

>     Now that I think of it, there is one song which took me some
> time to get used to (and I still feel divided about it), that's "Del Rio's
> song"...

        I've always been a little ambivalent towards this one myself
(though, mind you, we're discussing ambivalence towards songs from an
album which is definitely [and almost literally] on my "desert island
list").
        However, my friends and I used to have a running joke about
"proper rock intonation" as appears in this song.  (Tox, if he still lurks
on this list, may recall it).
        With thunderous riffing behind him, Eric sings:
        "My boat left New Orleans ..." (he builds to the lyrical
climax ...)
        "... IN 1829!!"

        Woah! we all think.  Rockin'!
        Then: Wait? "My boat left New Orleans in 1829?"  What the _hell_
are we doing head-banging to that?  What's going on here?  Why should
we care?  ;)

        But still, you've got to admit, that even when you sing something
completely bizarre like that with the appropriate phrasing and with the
appropriate instrumental arrangement it _does_ get the old adrenilin
pumping! :)

CHeers,
Carl