Imaginos remakes and outtakes

Alex S. Garcia 101612.172 at COMPUSERVE.COM
Tue Feb 13 15:53:51 EST 1996

>>     Now that I think of it, there is one song which took me some
>> time to get used to (and I still feel divided about it), that's "Del Rio's
>> song"...
>
>        I've always been a little ambivalent towards this one myself
>(though, mind you, we're discussing ambivalence towards songs from an
>album which is definitely [and almost literally] on my "desert island
>list").

I understand the feeling ; I wouldn't want to forget THIS album if I ever went
to that
famous island myself... :-)

>        However, my friends and I used to have a running joke about
>"proper rock intonation" as appears in this song.  (Tox, if he still lurks
>on this list, may recall it).
>        With thunderous riffing behind him, Eric sings:
>        "My boat left New Orleans ..." (he builds to the lyrical
>climax ...)
>        "... IN 1829!!"
>
>        Woah! we all think.  Rockin'!

Oh YEAH ! let's rock...

>        Then: Wait? "My boat left New Orleans in 1829?"  What the _hell_
>are we doing head-banging to that?  What's going on here?  Why should
>we care?  ;)

Does sound kind of stupid if you take it out of context. You got a point there.

>        But still, you've got to admit, that even when you sing something
>completely bizarre like that with the appropriate phrasing and with the
>appropriate instrumental arrangement it _does_ get the old adrenilin
>pumping! :)

True enough. In fact, that precise excerpt of the song is probably
the part of it I like the most  :-)

Thanks for sharing that one with us.

Alex.