Just to get a few things off my chest

Douglas A. Mitchell DMitchIssy at AOL.COM
Tue Feb 13 21:55:44 EST 1996

John:

>1.  I like "I'd Like to See You in Black"

Most definitely!  A studio version of this track may change the minds
of a few of the folk who aren't so sure about it.  It brought the house
down BOTH nights in Seattle.  Especially that crazy Friday show...

>2.  I like the Imaginos version of "Astronomy".  It's hard to top the
>beauty and depth of the original version, but the Imaginos version to
>me sounds cool, and fits the character of the album well -- when the
>intro plays, I can picture the reflection of the moon on the water as
>I walk along the beach with Suzy . . .  (On a side note, the video that
>was done for the Imaginos version of Astronomy is very cool -- lots of
>information in it as it tries to tell a big chunk of the Imaginos story
>in a short period of time)

I never met an 'Astronomy' I didn't like...

>3.  I like, to some degree, everything that BOC has done.

We're in concert here as well.  No matter how hard I try to dislike
any of their material, it never seems to work.  Maybe I'm just not
critical enough...

>4.  Music is neither good or bad -- you may like it or not like it, but
>that like or dislike doesn't make it good or bad.  I don't particularly
>like alot of what's being played on the radio these days (although I'm
>starting to get into some stuff), but that doesn't mean it's bad, just
>that I don't like it.  Maybe I should start a new slogan:  "Music
>doesn't suck - people do."  O.K., maybe not . . .  ;-)

Much has been said in the responses to this paragraph, and I would
add only one word to the mix:  perception.  Carl Anderson spoke very
clearly & eloquently regarding the cultural aspect & relativistic nature
of words like "good" & "bad".  To be one or the other, you must first
have some context to place them in.  Then you judge based upon
your own set of perceptions, which originate in, and are constantly
influenced by, your subculture.  I *think* is exactly where John &
Carl were headed...

>5.  If we're going to have some more meaningful discussion about BOC
>and their music, let's go a little beyond a statement that says, "I
>don't like _____"  Tell us WHY you don't like it, or why you do - it
>will make the subsequent discussions more interesting, instead of just
>turning the discussion into a "vote".

Yes again!  Even better, lets hear everyone's INTERPRETATIONS of
content.  This requires a conscious thought process, and in it's most
pure form, a synthesis of the learned data into one's original database.
(It's called learning, man...)

Nothing in life really sucks, if you can put it in the proper perspective.
When the restaurant food you're eating isn't four-star, remember all
those folks who aren't so lucky.  Tastes better already... =)

Finally, in basic agreement with Carl, Imaginos is definitely a
LOUSY country album... (chuckle)...

The Snowman.                                         _?_
<dmitchissy at aol.com>                              I

      "If it isn't skiing or Blue Oyster Cult, I'm not interested..."
The First Annual BOC BBQ - Santa Rosa, California - Spring 1996!

Douglas A. Mitchell              World Snow T-shirts always available!
290 S.E. Bush Street           Contact me via E-mail or snail mail for
Issaquah, Washington 98027       information regarding the 'coolest'
(206) 391-7683              T-shirt designs this side of the South Pole!