Vote on Astronomy/Like v. Dislike

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Wed Feb 14 13:04:06 EST 1996

> perfectly with the drums, however be aware some people just don't care to
> explain their likes and dislikes to the same depths.
>
> Disclaimer:  The above is not a flame ok, just pointing out that the "say
> why" reads like a rule.  Yep it can promote intelligent conversations about
> a song or an album but we be free to offer an opinion without explanation if
> we choose to do so.
>
> AB

AB,
I took John's remarks more as a reminder to us all that this IS a
specialized group, devoted to three bands.  We all have a
responsibility to enrich our collective understanding of BOC, and
this can be done by comparing notes of our likes and dislikes.
Somebody posted earlier today that his favorite BOC stuff was FOUO
and Imaginos, and he, in a mild way, put down the bands early stuff.
This, to me, is a totally foreign concept, 'cause I grew up with BOC,
and their early stuff to me is the best [make that early
stuff+Imaginos].  My point being thaat his perspective is unique to
someone like me, but it's still valuable to read.  If I read John
right, he wants us to offer concrete stuff we can debate on the list.
 Otherwise, it's like American Bandstand, where all the kids who
rated a record said:  'I  liked the beat.'  I think a band that's as
multifaceted as BOC deserves our full intelectual participation.  But
hey, it's only r'n'r:   if it appeals to you on a gut level, that's
cool too.  So we could just say that.
No flame intended, AB
theo