Vote on Astronomy/Like v. Dislike

Stephen Swann swann at PHANTOM.COM
Wed Feb 14 13:37:10 EST 1996

BREVARD Adrian R. writes:

> Good v. Bad - Well we each have our own interpretation of what is good music
> and what is bad music.  Greenday Sucks!  See? But thats just me.  Is BOC's
> music better than AC/DC's music?  I think so.  But AC/DC has sold over 80
> million records in their career which hasn't been as longs as BOC's.  Its
> all releative and its your opinion anyway so who cares?

If that's the case, why would we bother to discuss anything, ever?  I
mean, if it was all just a matter of everybody having their solitary,
inviolate opinion preserved in vacuum, there would be no point trying
to carry on a conversation at all.  We'd all be just little isolated
satellites, beeping out messages that none of the others listened to.

If we were to take that approach on this list, we'd soon be back to
the level of discussion that you see on Usenet news:

        It rules!
        No, it sucks!
        No, it rules!
        No, it sucks!