OFF: Devil Doll, High Tide, and Tape tree info

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Wed Feb 14 15:45:03 EST 1996

>       Hawkfan Greetings, Andrew/Roger:
>
>       I still haven't gotten your blank tapes for the Angels of Death
>       Band HW cover tape tree.  If you are still interested but are
>       experiencing "difficulties", feel free to email me if there is any

Mailed 'em out yesterday.  Hope they get there okay, the envelope
was a little suspect.

>       Sorry, I have not heard Devils Doll before, but I have heard OF
>       them.  They are an American independent-label prog group, right?

Pretty much.  Lemme quote the guy:  "Lots of universal republic horror from
the 30's, with a dose of Bernard Hermann with rock thrown in.  Theatrical
horror, very cinematic...."  He said they're not really BLANGA, though (I went
over the web page to brush up on the term),  but he recommends "High Tide"
as a good source of BLANGA...

>       Zelazny used to be great...I was sorely disappointed with the
>       second Amber series, tho.  Seemed to me that he ran out of steam in
>       the early eighties.

That quote was from "Trumps of Doom", which kicked off the 2nd series.
I didn't like it as much at first, but warmed up to it a lot more the second
time around.  When he avoids dream sequences I like it a lot.  I believe
the tale was not quite yet finished, and his untimely death pretty much
ends hope of that being filled in.  He was supposed to be working on
"The Salesman's Tale", a series (pieces of which have been published
in "Amberzine", a fanzine dedicated to Amber) which parallels the
Merlin books but from Luke's point of view.

Andrew A. Apold, aka                        "I was corrupt before I had power!"
Roger Shrubstaff                                 - Random, upon being accused
Chancellor                                            of being corrupted since
Barony of Silverwater                             becoming King....
Kingdom of the Burning Lands                (Roger Zelazny, d. 1995)