Eric's non-nipon

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Thu Feb 15 09:45:59 EST 1996

> Theo writes:
>
> >I belive Eric is fairly proficient in Japanese, at least to the
> extent that he sings many BOC songs in that language when the band
> tours Japan.
>

> Well, Eric may know some Japanese, but I hate to bust anyone's bubble,
> but Eric did NOT sing in Japanese when the band toured Japan (and it's
> been a few years I believe since they've done that).  That stuff written
> in the liner notes to WOTT (and some tour programs) about Eric singing
> sets in Japanese is utter bullshit.  Someone forwarded a comment made
> by Bolle on this topic to BOC-L after WOTT came out (I might have it,
> and if so I'll re-post).  Eric does do a brief intro to the song in
> Japanese, but that is it.  I've got a tape from Osaka in 1978 and I can
> assure you Eric sings in English.  This is somewhat of a sore spot for
> Bolle because he spent big bucks years ago to secure a recording from
> a BOC show in Japan, and was pretty pissed to find out that he had been
> misled (and he's none to happy that this lie has been perpetuated in the
> WOTT liner notes).
>
> John

John,
Apparently, that rumor is harder to kill than a cockroach.  I posted
it 'cause I've read it in so many places.  Why didn't someone slam
the door shut on that one a long time ago?  Maybe 'cause it adds to
the air of mystery surrounding the band?  I don't blame Bolle for
freaking over that one.
theo