Copyright News

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Thu Feb 15 17:37:45 EST 1996

> Steve adds:
>
> >I've been kind of anticipating a big legal crackdown ever since the
> 'net hit the big time.  I think the best way to keep the right to
> maintain archives at all is to do it as a low profile operation.  This
> is a private discussion list; I think the archive should be taken off
> the web, and its existence should remain unadvertised outside of this
> forum.  If we keep a low profile, and don't broadcast the availability
> of this stuff all over the net, then nobody will take any notice of
> our little fans-only lyrics project.
>

> I'm not the moderator, or responsible for the archives, but I would
> think that this would be somewhat of a shame to do.  I'd rather see
> everyone download what they want from the archive and then keep the
> archive up and running until someone were to ask us to shut it down.
> Again, this is certainly not my call.  I think the archive is a great
> asset to BOC fans in general, not just in our group.  But, then, perhaps
> based on recent discussions these files are in fact "illegal" (at least
> the way the current copyright laws are written) -- have we actually
> determined that fact?  I guess if they are clearly in violation of
> existing copyright violations, then perhaps Steve is right.  However,
> if it is NOT clear that they are in violation, I believe they should
> stay open.
>
> This fucking sucks (yeah, come and get me Bill Clinton),
>
> John

John,
What makes all this so fucking frustrating (I'm waitin' for ya,
Tipper) is that if the band wants it's stuff protected, or wants
income from it, why don't they release some 'official' printed music
for us.  This is just like live bootlegs:  we'd buy the stuff if it
were available.  It's like we're penalized for trying to learn the
band's songs, out of respect and admiration for the band.  Like we're
going to use TAB to figure out BOC songs, then make records of them
ourselves, which the whole world will buy and deprive the artists of
their product!  There aren't any books 'cause no one would take a
chance publishing them.  All the worse, as now there's a glut of note-
for-note books about bands like Poison or Warrant.  When BOC WAS
popular, such books just didn't happen--now it's too late...
theo