Imaginos remakes and outtakes

Joseph Brooks jbrooks at CONNECTNET.COM
Thu Feb 15 19:48:13 EST 1996

>>        However, my friends and I used to have a running joke about
>>"proper rock intonation" as appears in this song.  (Tox, if he still lurks
>>on this list, may recall it).
>>        With thunderous riffing behind him, Eric sings:
>>        "My boat left New Orleans ..." (he builds to the lyrical
>>climax ...)
>>        "... IN 1829!!"
>>
>>        Woah! we all think.  Rockin'!
>
>Oh YEAH ! let's rock...
>
>>        Then: Wait? "My boat left New Orleans in 1829?"  What the _hell_
>>are we doing head-banging to that?  What's going on here?  Why should
>>we care?  ;)
>
>Does sound kind of stupid if you take it out of context. You got a point there.
>
>>        But still, you've got to admit, that even when you sing something
>>completely bizarre like that with the appropriate phrasing and with the
>>appropriate instrumental arrangement it _does_ get the old adrenilin
>>pumping! :)
>
>True enough. In fact, that precise excerpt of the song is probably
>the part of it I like the most  :-)
>
>Thanks for sharing that one with us.

What and would you rather BOC's lyrics consisted of the usual "yeah, yeah
baby" type? Or perhaps the angry-young-man bit that is so popular these
days? Lyrics have always been one of BOC's strong points, IMO.. In Imaginos,
a story is being told.. Part of the story is set in the 1800's.. I don't
understand your objection to the lyric.
     _
  | | \   *jbrooks at connectnet.com                   | "So Ladies, Fish and
Gentlemen,
  | | <   *http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/1154|  here's my angled dream.."
|_| |_/   *WALSTIB / Keep our Internet free!