Imaginos remakes and outtakes

Hardman DK D.K.Hardman at CITY.AC.UK
Fri Feb 16 09:23:30 EST 1996

> > >really, who cares that the boat left New Orleans in 1829 ? I think that
> > >the "morale" behind this is just that you can give so much power to
> > >an apparently meaningless phrase just by using the "proper rock
> > >intonation"...

Well now, referring to the lyric book I notice that there is in fact an
exclamation mark after the line in question:

"Oh my boat left New Orleans in 1829!"

So apparently Sandy and Albert thought this line was pretty significant,
and here we are calling it meaningless and mundane!! :)

Seriously, it could be argued that actually the line is of significance,
in that this marks a particular turning point in the story -- where
Imaginos sets out from New Orleans to seek the Magna of Illusion.

A similar situation occurs in the song Magna of Illusion, which twice
includes the verse "Stories on land, storms at sea/'Tween 1892 and
'93/When Grandad sailed for Mexico". The first time this occurs, the line
acts as a climactic bridge into a short but fairly dramatic guitar solo.
So, ladies, fish and gentlemen of the jury, I honourably submit that
S.Pearlman and A.Bouchard did wilfully intend the act of venturing forth
to obtain a magic mirror to represent a moment of dramatic intentions in
the saga of Imaginos.

Dave