Copyright News

Michael P Mccollum mccolmp at MAIL.AUBURN.EDU
Fri Feb 16 09:49:34 EST 1996

On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, M Holmes wrote:

> Stephen Swann writes:
>
> > Rob Maerz writes:
> > >
> > > well, I was not able to get in contact with Bolle via telly...but I noticed
> > > that the ftp Nevada Online Guitar Archive has been shutdown "until legal
> > > issues are resolved"...
> >
> > There used to be an e-mail lyrics server operating, several years ago.
> > It closed down due to legal problems.
> >
> > I've been kind of anticipating a big legal crackdown ever since the
> > 'net hit the big time.  I think the best way to keep the right to
> > maintain archives at all is to do it as a low profile operation.  This
> > is a private discussion list; I think the archive should be taken off
> > the web, and its existence should remain unadvertised outside of this
> > forum.  If we keep a low profile, and don't broadcast the availability
> > of this stuff all over the net, then nobody will take any notice of
> > our little fans-only lyrics project.
> >
> > That's my suggestion, anyway.
>
> I'd go along with Steve on this one. Certainly with the Hawkwind lyrics,
> the band are aware that we have such an archive and even wrote for a
> copy. The only problems we've really had are when lyrics were available
> via the Web. I doubt anyone cares if a few fans argue about lyrics and
> pass 'em around amongst themselves. At one level it's the sort of
> enthusiasm that might bring the record companies some profits. At the
> other level they worry about losing profits because something they have
> bought rights to has become freely available.
>
> > Steve
>
> FoFP

its probably time to fulfill our destiny...

THE BLUE OYSTER CULT/
CHURCH OF HAWKWIND

enter the temples though the means of the keepers of
the forbidden knowledge (join us and seal your fate)
the knowledge has been known to drive men crazy
it is free to devoteees perusal
but dare not any defiler enter these sacred halls(databank, whatever?)
-now where is my monks robe i need to dust it off...
-mike psyche  alabama synod