Imaginos remakes and outtakes

Hardman DK D.K.Hardman at CITY.AC.UK
Fri Feb 16 10:19:21 EST 1996

On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, Ted O. Jackson wrote:

> ahead of other bands, always has been.  For one thing, they don't
> rely upon trite rhyme schemes.  In fact, on the first 3 albums, none
> of the lyrics employ end rhyme.  It's one of the things that
> instantly attracted me to the band...
> theo

This isn't correct. Glancing at the lyrics for the first album alone I see:

"Screams in the night/Sirens delight/Heat broken glass/Satan's bred
trash/Big city madness/Comfort my soul/Give me a home/Where I can grow"

...and so on, through the rest of that song. Some of the rhymes are
direct rhymes and some half rhyme (sorry, I don't know what the technical
term for this is). There are plenty of other rhyming songs too:

"She heard someone say/ The other day"   and
"Her face changing now/A Guernsey cow"

(She's as beautiful as a foot)

Actually, some of the half-rhymes are better than the direct rhymes. Check
out "ten" and "end" in tR&tB:

"Frontenac Chateau, baby/I cross the frontier at ten/Got a whip in my
hand, baby/And a girl or a husky/At leather's end"

Flaming Telepaths, from ST, is a great example of some excellent direct
and half-rhymes all mixed in together: Times/Mind/Pride/Lies   &
On fire/an iron    To do/On you  (these sound better when you actually
read the entire lines)

I could go on (and would, given half a chance) but I'll leave it there....

Dave