PT TRANSMISSION # 19 (fwd)

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Fri Feb 16 11:19:00 EST 1996

> On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Craig Shipley wrote:

> > > Rainbow Dome Presents...
> > >
> > > The legendary ..........   GONG
> > > with very special guests:  Ozric Tentacles
> > >                      and   Porcupine Tree
> > >                            Here & Now
> > >                            Star Sounds Orchestra (featuring Steve Schroyder
> > >                                                   from Tangerine Dream
> > >                                                   and Ash Ra Temple)
> > >                            Global
> > >                            Dr. Didg
> > >                            Glo (featuring Gilli Smyth + Steffy Sharpstrings)
> > >                            Mandragora
> > >                            Saddar Bazaar
> > >                            Moonboot Oz (featuring Gary + Kim from Magic
> > > Mushroom                                         Band / Astralasia)
> > >
> > > Saturday 6th April 1996
> > > The Pavilion, North Parade Rd, Bath
> > > Noon - Midnight
> > >
> > > Bar / Food / Stalls
> > >
> > > Price 15 GBP Advance
> > >
> > > Tickets available with No Booking Fee from:
> > > 5 The Old Stables, Kyre Park, Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire, WR15 8RW
> > > (Cheques / PO's to J.A. Smith - Please enclose a SAE)
> > >
> > > Credit Card Bookings: 01225 447770
> > >
> > > INFORMATION HOTLINE: 01885 410509
> > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>         Being as I prefer the heavy stuff in the Hawkwind corpus, and
> don't know any of these bands' material, is this still worth going to?
> For the price looks incredible: but will I like the music? Anyone advise?
>                                                                         Jazza
>
>         /________________________________________________________\
>         |                           ()                           |
>         |        Jon Jarrett        ()  "What that boy needs is  |
>         |      Pembroke College     ()   a damn good haircut     |
>         |      Cambridge CB2 1RF    ()   and a spell in the      |
>         |   jaj20 at hermes.cam.ac.uk  ()          Army"            |
>         \___________________________()___________________________/

Jon,
Not just YES, but HELL YES!! The Ozrics are probably the most incredible
instrumental band touring right now; their music is a mixture of Hawkwind,
Gong (who is on the bill) and Steve Hillages' more spacey early stuff. Add
a touch of mid-70's Tangerine dream and serve with various ethnic beats.

Porcupine Tree is a must-see for any fan of early '70's Pink Floyd. Probably
my next favorite band, after the Ozrics. Guitar predominates, with long
spacey Dave Gilmour-ish solos. Vocals on a number of tracks, but the
instrumentals are where the band shines.

Star Sound Orchestra is a duo (last time I heard) of a syntthesist and a
gong player. Music ranges from up-tempo "rocket-fuel" tunes to floating
ambient tunes. Schroyder is probably the second most innovative ex-member of
TD (after Chris Franke) currently recording. Didn't know that they toured!

Can't comment on the rest of the bands, but Mandragora is reportedly very
Ozric-ish.

Should be a pretty psychedelic weekend!

objCDPlayer: Lambert: Dimensions Of Dreams
      -m------- Craig Shipley   aka: craigs at pyratl.ga.pyramid.com
    ---mmm----- Pyramid Technology Corporation, A Siemens-Nixdorf Company
  -----mmmmm--- 1100 Johnson Ferry Road NE, Suite 400
-------mmmmmmm- Atlanta, GA 30342      (404) 845-3404