BOC; I'd Like To, and other stuff

Stephen Swann swann at PHANTOM.COM
Fri Feb 16 14:17:20 EST 1996

Jon Jarrett writes:

> 6) `proper rock intonation': this sounds a lot like Eliot's idea of the
> `objective correlative', a set of words which would convey exactly the
> same image to anyone who heard them. I don't think it's possible, even
> within one language, but he did and was quite prepared to sacrifice sense
> to the search for it. Never heard it applied to music before, but agree
> with the example. A crescendo on the word `eighteen-twenty-nine' has no
> business being such a gut-tugger: I'm a historian, and I don't find
> dates *that* exciting... but it works dunnit? Could this be something to
> do with natural frequencies of vibration, or sequences of major chords,
> or what? There must be some scientific reasons if all of BOC-L who've
> commented on this can all agree that the phrase is good, we never manage
> it on anything else!

If you want an even more extreme example, check out this tune (uh, oh,
Steve is about to violate copyright law, someone call the Net Police!)
:-)

This song is by the Melvins.  It's got truly brutal music, with
chopping power chords and hammering drums - it's as violent and
methodical as pattern bombing.  The words are spat out in a vocal tone
that's somewhere between a snarl and a shout - they sound terrifying:
they'll send a shiver down your spine.  When you're trying to figure
them out, you hear a barely restrained threat of violence in them.

This is what the words actually are:

        HOOCH

        Los ticka toe rest.  Might like a sender doe ree.  Your make
        a doll a ray day sender bright like a penelty.

        Exi-tease my ray day member half lost a beat away.  Purst in
        like a one way sender war give a heart like a fay.

        Cuz I can ford a red eed only street a wide a ree land.  Die-
        mond make a mid-evil bike a sake a like a ree caste.  Cuz I can
        ford a red eed only street a wide a ree land.  On a ree land.
        Find a ree land.

        You sink a my swan.  Rolly a get a worst in.  May-be minus way
        far central poor forty duck a pin.

        Milk maid dud bean.  Master a load head.  Pill pop a dope a
        well run general hash punp a gonna lead.

Yeah, I didn't really have to type all that in to make my point, but
what the heck, I thought you might find it amusing.  ;-)

Steve