BOC; I'd Like To, and other stuff

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Fri Feb 16 14:35:25 EST 1996

> You may not like it, but that's not
> the same. Otherwise there'd be no point in getting CDs: it sounds
> `better', but that just means you can hear the sound more clearly, yes?
> I've not met anyone yet who said,"Well I think it sounds better muffled
> and scratchy _actually_"

        Gee, but isn't this why it's so trendy to be into vinyl?
        How many times have I heard "vinyl is _warmer_"? ;)  Er,
aren't we actually talking about the sound being _muffled_ from
the compression that come with vinyl (and analog tape, for that matter)?
And, usually, vinyl is scratcy too ;)

        Personally, I think this is ridiculous.  If the vinyl sounds
better than the CD, then it wasn't mastered for CD properly, or the
engineer doesn't know how to use digital recording equipment properly.
A digital recording _can_ be both as warm as and clearer than analog.

        Now if people say they're into vinyl 'cause they like the
nostalgia, or the cool original artwork, or floppy black discs, or
they're favorite band _hasn't_ been mastered properly onto CD (and the
vinyl really does sound better on their high-end stereo) ...
        Well, all right then. ;)

Cheers,
Carl