Copyright News

Fri Feb 16 15:15:48 EST 1996

Martin and Theo say:

>         I don't know who BOLLE is but the way everything he says turns
> into an anal retentive diatribe against people who choose to partake
> in drugs or alcohol is really starting to annoy me

 Right on!  I remember a line from Rick Neilsen of Cheap Trick.  I
forget who he was talking about, but he said:  'now there's one
person who SHOULD take drugs.'  I suspect that Bolle may be a
reformed doper.  None more rabid than the reformed!  Just my take on
him, as I've read references here about his beer-drinking.  Maybe
it's NA beer?

Whoah, wait a minute.  I'm gonna jump in here since I probably
inadvertently started this by re-posting one of his old comments,
and in it he happens to also mention drugs.

First of all, Bolle by his own admission has been known to partake of
alchohol (in fact, he's told me that if I ever visit him, the two of
us are probably going to get majorly wasted while we listen to music).
Bolle is certainly not against people to choose to partake in alchohol.

Second, Bolle certainly seems to be against taking drugs, at least
for himself personally.  He stated that he has never taken drugs, and
I would take him on his word at that, rather than suggesting that
he's a reformed doper.  In his first mention of drugs, he was saying
so in response to someone whom he believes (and probably knows
first hand) was taking drugs - and it may have been said influence
which caused that person to write the lies in the liner notes
previously discussed.  His more recent mentioning of drugs was, at
least how I interpreted, to be an example of illegal activity (he also
mentioned child sex).

Third, he has his opinions on the subject, and I don't think that because
he happens to be against something that's illegal (not to mention
potentially destructive) and that because he voices those opinions that
he should be branded "anal retentive".  I've never done any drugs (other
than alchohol or various legal medicinal products) myself.  I'm not
condemning people who do, but I don't believe that Bolle was either.

Finally, since he's not on this list, I think it's inappropriate that
any of us here should rip into him.  Especially since his words put
here were probably not put here at his request - ROBO and I were passing
along some opinions from him regarding copyright info and liner notes.
The fact that alchohol and drugs happened to also be mentioned in the
e-mails is coincidental, and mostly not pertinent to the main discussion.

John