Vote on Astronomy/Like v. Dislike

HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM HERBERT119 at DELPHI.COM
Sat Feb 17 05:33:25 EST 1996

On 16-FEB-1996 08:22:51.6 BOC-L said to HERBERT119
   >by listserv.spc.edu (8.6.12/8.6.12) with SMTP id HAA20511 for
   ><BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>; Fri, 16 Feb 1996 07:55:47 -0500
   >Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 12:51:07 +0000
   >From: "Carl E. Anderson" <cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK>
   >Subject: Re: Vote on Astronomy/Like v. Dislike
   >Sender: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
   >To: Multiple recipients of list BOC-L <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
   >>    >AB says: however be aware some people just don't care to
   >>    >explain their likes and dislikes to the same depths.
   >>    >However, be aware: many people just care to hit the delete button.
   >>    >C-ya!
   >>
   >> Why be so damn rude??
   >> I don't think that Ben's introduction to this list
   >> said: "It is required that you state your opiniuons and your reasons
   >for > them." Some people don't post at all. If someone wants to post
   >"good" or > "bad" (while I agree that it's more interesting to know
   >why) then leave it > be. I know some people who just CAN'T explain why
   >- it's not in their > vocabulary or understanding. There will always
   >be a certain faction of > people who will be able to elaborate and
   >those who won't... I think there's
   >> enough people who can post "why" so that someone can get a good idea
   >of wha t
   >> something sounds like. We need a little more tolerance here.
   >Change down, man ... Find your neutral space ... ;)
   >I don't think rudeness was intended here.  For that matter, on
   >some subject threads _I_ just hit the delete button, though on others
   >I dive in with no shortage of posting (the value of which is,
   >admittedly, debatable ;)
   >As Pippi Longstocking says: A:r det inte ett fritt land?
   >(Is it not a free country?)
   >But while, sure, it's nice to have a tally of people all
   >sending a message to say they do or don't like something and little
   >else, well personally I'd rather that kind of voting be done in the
   >traditional BOC-L manner: a list wide poll wherein one person tallys the
   >votes and posts the results to the list.
   >I might read something that does elaborate, since it can expand
   >my own perceptions.  But tally-threads will probably hit my delete key
   >as well.  No condemnation of non-elaborative threads, or peoples
   >tastes in coffee, or whatever--it's just that I haven't got *that*
   >much free time on my hands ...
   >Cheers,
   >Carl

No, Carl, I wasn't objecting to the delete strategy either. I use it now and
then myself. But Deb's note just seemed...biting? I dunno. That's the prob
w/this kind of communication, as we've discussed before - it's hard to tell
what people mean w/out any "tone inflection". I'm neutral here.

Chuck

`[1;36;47mRainbow V 1.19.4 for Delphi - Test Drive