OFF: Sam Gopal _Escalator_ on CD

Johan Edlundh hawkjoe at EKA.ERICSSON.SE
Mon Feb 19 08:45:56 EST 1996

>        This is a release that got mentioned here once or twice a while
>back, but I just stumbled across it on CD and am posting the info for
>the benefit of the Lemmyophiles on the list ...
>
>        Sam Gopal was, of course, the band Lemmy was in just before
>Hawkwind, in '68 or so, and he sings and plays guitar on this album.

He played in Opal Butterfly between SG & HW.
_Escalator_ was recorded 1968.
His name on the vinyl was "Ian (Lemmy) Willis" (the pictures say there's no
doubt this is 'our' Lemmy). Anyone having an explanation to mr Kilminster's
last name?

>Be stunned by the sound of Lemmy's voice before it was shot to hell!
>Be amazed has he plays Chuck Berry riffs over bizarre tabla drums!!

Quite different from Motorhead nowadays, but you can hear that's a lot of
Lemmy on it. My vinyl has the following tracks:

cold embrace / the dark lord / *the sky is burning / you're alone now /
*grass / *it's only love / *escalator / angry faces / midsummer nights dream
/ season of the witch / *yesterlove

(Lemmy only compositions marked "*")

Has the CD the same tracks, or have the "Horse" acetate been added?

>        Anyway: Sam Gopal, _Escalator_  (TTE 004CD), and TTE claims
>to be a division of TNT Enterprises GMBH of Frankfurt, Germany.  A
>sticker proclaims this a limited resissue.

Do *strongly* recommend this item to anyone who is a little bit curious to
Lemmy Pre Motorhead...

>Cheers,
>Carl

cheers - \\joe