OFF: Sam Gopal _Escalator_ on CD

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Mon Feb 19 13:52:01 EST 1996

> >all i want to know is is it psychedelic?
> >also who's carrying it -mail orderwise?
> >i like the opal butterfly track on -"electric sugarcubes flashbacks"
> >english psyche comp.
>
> _Escalator_ was recorded 1968, and it was heavy the same way Zeppelin s/t was.
> Strange kind of heaviness though, because there was no drum kit used at all
> - just the tabla drumming by Sam Gopal himself.
> Remains me in some way of Gun's first, that one with "Race with the Devil".
> Cool heavy blues'n roll, yes!
> psycedelic, no.

        I dunno.  It wobbles in and out of weird reverby wobbly 1968
kind of psychedelia.  It's not _really_ even that heavy.  Lemmy's own
songs are pretty light even, though "Escalator" itself will sound
immediately familar as a classic Lemmy-type rave up.
        There _is_ even a drum kit used on a few songs, presumably
played by Mr. Gopal himself, who does all the tabla drumming too.
It is definitely an unusual document, but pretty worthwhile.

        Is the comp with the Opal Butterfly track still available?  Are
there other Opal Butterfly recordings?

Cheers,
Carl