Imaginos :Black & Silver

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Tue Feb 20 08:02:09 EST 1996

> In a message dated 96-02-19 09:12:18 EST, Torgo writes:
>
> >This line also appears in the song "Heavy Metal: Black and Silver".
> >The song says:
> >
> >"Direction. Creation. Foundation.
> > Spans a river we call time, World without end."
> >
> >Noting that this song is in fact at least partially Bouchard penned, does
> >this song fit anywhere into the Imaginos saga? I remember back last year
> >sometime when Albert stated for the record all the many songs that could
> >indeed fit somewhere into the whole Imaginos Thang, yet for some reason I
> >don't remember this song being on it. Actually it never really occured to
> >me until I finally caught the "world without end" line.
>
> Well, back in May of last year, Al posted his thoughts on Imaginos.  Al said:
>

> > my interpretation of the real order is:
> >>
> >> Les Invisibles
> >> Imaginos
> >> Del Rio's Song
> >> Blue Oyster Cult
> >> Astronomy
> >> I Am the One You Warned Me Of      } these two could flip flop In
> >> the Presence of Another World   }
> >> The Siege and Investiture of Baron Von Frankenstein's Castle at Weisseria
> >> Magna of Illusion

Glad to see that Al agrees with me that 'Magna' should wrap up
'Imaginos.'  Although I didn't come to this conclusion through an
analysis of the lyrics, but more from the view that, musically,
'Magna' seemed a fitting crescendo.  But looking at the lyrics, it
does provide a lot of information, and kind of re-caps a lot of
'Imaginos'' information.

> >and I more or less agree with that order. I was always more concerned with
> >this type of thing than Pearlman. Being a drummer, order is important to me.
>
> and later in the posting, Al said:
>
> >OK You all have fantisized about this. Now it's my turn.
> >Act One: The Imaginos album we're familiar with.
> >Act Two: Bombs over Germany
> >               Workshop of the Telescopes
> >               Girl Love Made Blind (left off Imaginos)
> >               ME 262
> >               The Red and the Black
> >               Cities on Flame ("Motor Cities Burnin" version)
> >               Shadow of California
> >               Half Life Time (very few have heard this one)
> >               Veterans of the Pychic Wars *
> >               Career of Evil *
> >Act Three: The Mutant Reformation
> >               Take Me Away *
> >               The Vigil *
> >               ETI
> >               R U Ready to Rock
> >               Heavy Metal
> >               Flaming Telepaths
> >               Gil Blanco County (left off Imaginos)
> >               Redeemed
> >* non-Pearlman songs because I never plan to write another with him and
> these
> >tunes kind of fit into the story

Wow!  What a killer set that would be, or more appropriately, what a
filmed presentation. (piching up AB's thread from a few months ago.
All
this speculation is both tempting, yet bittersweet.  If only this
band could have held together and seen through such a project.
'Imaginos' is, for me, a tough album to listen to, in that it shows
us, once and for all, the genius that BOC was capable of, esp.
appearing after a couple of lackluster albums.  And then, after
having teased us so, the band sank into semi-obscurity.  That coupled
with Albert's continued creativity on his own with the Surgeons, just
leaves such an impression of vacuum regarding BOC.  What if??  If the
band could have treated Albert fairly?  If Al could ever forgive
them, and somehow work with BOC again? (Not that I blame him at all
if he chose not to--he's got ample reassons.)  'Imaginos' shines so
brightly as an album, evoking the same feelings I have for earlier
BOC material, that, while I enjoy it righteously, it still makes me
sad every time I listen to it...
theo