Imaginos :Black & Silver

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Tue Feb 20 09:22:00 EST 1996

> Well Theo, you've been reading my mind again ;-)   Actually, alot of
> what you said I recently commented on to Wallace McBride's "Transmaniacon
> PC" column (on ROBODUDE's "Underbelly Online") - he should be posting
> that response along with others soon.  Basically, I feel that while
> *Imaginos* may be one of the best albums with the BOC name on it, when
> I think of what "could have", or "should have" been, it's a bit sad
> to me as well.  Without going into everything I said before, I'll just
> quickly mention the 3 things that "should have" happened, IMHO:
>
> 1.  Production - should have been at least a double-CD package with the
> *complete* Imaginos saga, including the unreleased songs, and perhaps
> a few more.  This whole thing was big, a long time coming, and should
> have been presented in all its glory.

Agree wholeheartedly.  Esp. given that the band probably knew at the
time that it was unlikely they would ever work together again.  [or
am I mistaken--just my gut, I haven't read the FAQ all that closely]
If they knew it would be their last collaboration, then they should
have gone out with a huge explosion, a watershed outpouring from
BOC's collective well of talent.  Given the fans a fitting send-off.
Maybe then it wouldn't seem like such a teaser.  But then again,
maybe it would be just as torturing.

> 2.  Participation - This album should have been recorded primarily
by
> the entire original line-up.  Other people maybe could have had major
> contributions, but the original 5 members of BOC should have done the
> lion's share of the recording.

Again total agreement.  Again, I plead ignorance, so please excuse my
observations if they're way off.  But so many of the instruments
sound like other musicians, that while it's a brilliant studio
effort, I miss the BOC members.  For instance, does Al do much
drumming on the album?  I see Tommy price listed in the credits, and
the drumming on 'Imaginos' sounds a lot to me like that on CN, which
also featured Tommy.  No knock on Tommy, I think he's a fantastic
drummer--but he's not Albert.  And who the fuck has any right to play
guitar on a BOC recording but BD?  There's plenty of 'additional
guitarwork, sadly, on 'Imaginos.'  And Joe relegated to keyboards and
vocals?  Come on...Again, no dig on Kenny--he's one of the best, but
he doesn't bring the same sound to the project.  Even the keyboards
sound different.  How much did Allen contribute?  Did he do the
amazing piano work on 'Magna,' or was it someone else?

> 3.  Albert Bouchard - Were it not for him, Imaginos would be a collection
> of Pearlman poems, with no music (with the exception of maybe 2 songs).
> Albert is the musical force behind this album, and to not have had his
> input at the end, and to not give him full credit for his efforts was
> just plain WRONG.

Albert's always been at the heart and soul of BOC.  It was so
apparent, esp. in the early days, seeing them live.  Al always drove
the entire band.  And his songwriting presence should be obvious to
all who've observed the bands creative doldrums since he left, esp.
when compared to his creative outpourings with the Surgeons.  Again
makes me winsome considering what he could still be bringing to BOC.
What could they be thinking for shafting Al on the final album, and
how could they live with themselves trying to appropriate his
creativity for themselves?  Did they think we wouldn't know?  Esp.
since Al's presence on 'Imaginos' is so obvious?  Like it or not,
guys, 'Imaginos' is Al's album.  Better to just admit to his talent
and live with it.  The aftermath of 'Imaginos' greatly shook my
admiration for Buck and Eric, two of my all-time heroes.

> O.K., now I'm not saying that given the various circumstances at
the time
> that the above things could have come about properly.  But when I think
> about what it should have been . . .
>
> As I believe Chip Hart told me recently, it would have been BOC's
> equivalent of The Who's "Tommy" or Pink Floyd's "The Wall".  (hope I'm
> not misquoting)
>
> John

IMVHO, I think a properly produced 'Imaginos' either as a double
album, or perhaps larger, incorporating Albert's trilogy concept
(perhaps reworking some existing songs to make them more relevant to
the trilogy) and utilizing BOC's instrumentation primarily, would, at
least for me, render those two albums as insignificant. [Hey, this IS
BOC-L!]
theo