OFF: Sam Gopal _Escalator_ on CD

Michael P Mccollum mccolmp at MAIL.AUBURN.EDU
Tue Feb 20 16:01:26 EST 1996

On Mon, 19 Feb 1996, Carl E. Anderson wrote:

> > >all i want to know is is it psychedelic?
> > >also who's carrying it -mail orderwise?
> > >i like the opal butterfly track on -"electric sugarcubes flashbacks"
> > >english psyche comp.
> >
> > _Escalator_ was recorded 1968, and it was heavy the same way Zeppelin s/t was.
> > Strange kind of heaviness though, because there was no drum kit used at all
> > - just the tabla drumming by Sam Gopal himself.
> > Remains me in some way of Gun's first, that one with "Race with the Devil".
> > Cool heavy blues'n roll, yes!
> > psycedelic, no.
>
>         I dunno.  It wobbles in and out of weird reverby wobbly 1968
> kind of psychedelia.  It's not _really_ even that heavy.  Lemmy's own
> songs are pretty light even, though "Escalator" itself will sound
> immediately familar as a classic Lemmy-type rave up.
>         There _is_ even a drum kit used on a few songs, presumably
> played by Mr. Gopal himself, who does all the tabla drumming too.
> It is definitely an unusual document, but pretty worthwhile.
>
>         Is the comp with the Opal Butterfly track still available?  Are
> there other Opal Butterfly recordings?
>
> Cheers,
> Carl

yes it is available - i got mine through bomp - only $10
they also have some u.s. psychedelic comps - i just got
30 seconds over the calico wall $10- it is pretty darn cool
also have beyond the calico wall $10- this one is essential for any 60's
psyche fiends - find out what happens when garage bands drop acid and get
let into recording studios
btw - the sound quality on all these comps is great for what they are
that is ultra rare 45's recorded onto cd - there are a few tracks taken
from the masters but not many - nothing as poor as bring me the head of
yuri though.
-mike psyche