Imaginos :Black & Silver

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Tue Feb 20 16:32:15 EST 1996

> > And who the fuck has any right to play
> > guitar on a BOC recording but BD?  There's plenty of 'additional
> > guitarwork, sadly, on 'Imaginos.'
>
>         Well, let's recall that _Imaginos_ began life as a non-BOC
> project.  Someone had to play guitar on it!  And some of those guitarists
> are no slouches (Krieger, Satriani, etc.).

They may be no slouches, but they ain't Buck either.  I mean to slag
these other guys in no way.  All the additional musicians on the
project are excellent musicians, but none of them have ever been
involved in a band quite like BOC.  I don't give  a shit how many
notes per second Satriani can play or how many modes he can name.
His playing can never send the goosebumps up my spine the way Buck's
can.  Now, how much of that has to do with the context in which Buck
is playing?  Good question.  I've always maintained that BOC was way
more than the sum of its parts, and that's why I take exception with
the presence of outsiders.  There just seems to exist within that
band a chemistry that's never been matched[for me anyway]by any other
band.
theo

> > > As I believe Chip Hart told me recently, it would have been BOC's
> > > equivalent of The Who's "Tommy" or Pink Floyd's "The Wall".  (hope I'm
> > > not misquoting)
> >
> > IMVHO, I think a properly produced 'Imaginos' either as a double
> > album, or perhaps larger, incorporating Albert's trilogy concept
> > (perhaps reworking some existing songs to make them more relevant to
> > the trilogy) and utilizing BOC's instrumentation primarily, would, at
> > least for me, render those two albums as insignificant. [Hey, this IS
> > BOC-L!]
>
>         Amen!  I think at some hazy point in the future _Imaginos_ could
> be taken further, but I wouldn't really want to rely on BOC-band input.
> I think the stunning success (from an artistic standpoint, if not
> commercial ;) of _Imaginos_ as a primarily non-BOC project obviates the
> need for a "reunion" line-up.  It's not a realistic projection anyway,
> so I won't waste overmuch energy wishing for it.

Don't mistake my desire for the original lineup as some exercise in
nostalgia.  And I know there's plenty of ill-will to go around.  But
I still believe that the entity known as BOC had some collective
magic in working with this kind of material.  I just don't see any
other combination of msicians as being able to do justice to this
kind of music.  MVHO, take it or leave it.  I bleed BOC blue!
theo