Imaginos :Black & Silver

Stephen Swann swann at PHANTOM.COM
Tue Feb 20 17:15:54 EST 1996

Somebody, in what I assume was a demented fit, wrote:

> And who the fuck has any right to play
> guitar on a BOC recording but BD?  There's plenty of 'additional
> guitarwork, sadly, on 'Imaginos.'

Look, Buck is probably my favorite guitar player.  However...

Who the fuck has the "the right" to call Al's album a BOC album?  He
wrote all the songs (except the ones written by Joe, also *not* a BOC
member).  He and the "Imaginos Band" performed them.  BOC (meaning the
members of the band in the late 80's) overdubbed the vocals onto those
existing tracks.  Numerous hired guns added guitar/synths/FX/etc.
But it's not a BOC album.  No way.  No how.  I've heard Al's Imaginos
band tracks, and that stuff *is* the album.  All the rest is just a
coat of gloss.

So you can stop getting high-handed about who has the "right" to
play guitar on a "BOC" album, because Imaginos ain't their album.

Which is too bad, because Imaginos is a better than anything that
BOC has done for 15 years.

Steve