Imaginos :Black & Silver

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Tue Feb 20 19:25:25 EST 1996

> Hi,
>
> I too was first happily stunned by Imaginos, and then, only recently last
> year when I
> got hold of the FAQ did I find out the real story.
>
> I had seen the band in Kingston NH on the Ninja tour and thought "that's
> it, their done". It was probably the only concert I ever came away from
> sad.

Yeah, I too saw the 2 oyster cult tour, with the same reaction.  A
real kich in the guts. >

A couple of years later, assuming they were long gone, my best friend
> who is also a huge fan heard the new Astronomy. We camped out in
> front of the radio waiting to hear it again! We were estatic. I also
> thought it would be the last BOC album and that they had
> finished it perfectly: a great album, with the original members
> listed as in the band. I was also glad Johnny was credited since
> he was in the band almost as long as Joe and he fit too. He
> deserved it.
>
> I saw them live and they did "I am the one you warned me of",
> "Astronomy", "Del Rio's Song", and I think they did "In the
> presence". Sadly, then I saw the FAQ. i almost wished I had
> never seen it.
>
> Rich
Yeah, again.  I knew long before I saw the FAQ that something was up
with 'Imaginos.'  Just from seeing them so much, and being familiar
with some of the 'additional musicians'I knew that a big chunk of BOC
was missing from the album.  At the same time, I was happy for AL,
'cause I could tell from the first listen that it was pretty much his
solo album.  But I thought the BOC was more involved with the record.
 Then, hearing how they tried to grab Al's project right out from
under him, and them ripped him off as well...the FAQ was...well, I'm
glad to have read it, really.  If anything, it tells everyone,
finally, what a brillian musician AL is.  And, it looks like the
Surgeons are going to be a great band, if they get any breaks at all.
 Look at it this way:  without the FAQ, Al wouldn't get the credit he
deserves from all us BOC fans.  As far as the dirt the band's done
him, well, human nature will do strange things with people's hearts,
and I suspect there was a lot of ego-tripping, greed, and drug abuse
involved to help the process along the way, not that that gives
anyone any excuses.  I still dig seeing what's left of BOC, just for
Buck's incredible guitar work.  All the foregoing shit hasn't done
anything to his talent...
theo