Of topic followup

Maxine Wesley mxw at DMU.AC.UK
Wed Feb 21 06:06:26 EST 1996

Thankyou to Chris Bates who mailed me with the answer to my question
about Deep Purple. For those who are also interested this is what he said:

QUOTE
"Haven't seen this line-up of Purple (or bought the album yet...) but
from all reports they're very much the dogs bollocks. The line-up is
Gillan, Glover, Paice, Lord and Steve Morse. Morse has replaced Joe
Satriani who took over in the middle of a tour last year when Blackmore
threw a moody. Satch was unable to join the band due to contractual
reasons. Morse is a well-known metal/jazz/country instrumentalist and
used to play with the Dixie Dregs, he's a sort of  heavier Eric Johnson
if that name means anything to you.

The new album is apparently a return to the sound of the early '70s
(Fireball, In Rock etc) and they're doing a lot of improvising live.
There's no drum solo and, whilst he can't do Child In Time anymore,
Gillan is said to be on top form. 16 quid has got to be good value for
money.  And yes, they were bloody good at Knebworth in '85 :-)"

Cheerio

MAxine