OffTopic: US politics

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Wed Feb 21 08:06:44 EST 1996

> >I just saw the New Hampshire result. I presume that the Republicans will
> >now need to mount a "stop Buchanan" campaign in order to prevent a

Well, it looks like it.  Buchanan is the worst thing the old-guard
GOP can envision [unless they think he could actually win] They're
trying to look more centrist, but Buchanan is anything but.

> >disaster in November? The question is will the establishment stick
with
> >what looks to be a fading Dole who has the campaign machinery but
> >probably can't beat Clinton or go with Alexander who's had a couple of
> >good results, has no funding or electoral organisation and might just be
> >able to beat Clinton in the charisma stakes?
> >
> >Cheers
> >
> >FoFP
Tough call.  They may not be able to avert a disaster, unless things
in Bosnia go radically wrong.  Americans always vote with their
wallets, and the economy is doing pretty well--a lot better than when
Clinton took office.  And, he can claim this success despite gridlock
and the continued opposition from both houses.  Plus, I think general
voter apathy may return a healthy portion of the GOP freshman class
back to the streets.  If the GOP pins its hopes on Dole, they may be
in for a long haul--hell, he's getting piss-pounded by Buchanan.
Looks to me like he's getting a pretty lukewarm response.  Alexander
is the dark horse.  He's done okay so far, but the Buchanan win in NH
will provide plenty of fuel for Pat to stick around, and too much
internicine fighting may leave Alexander too bloody to beat Clinton.

> As with most US politicians, the only answer they could concieve is run the
> guy with the most money, and hope to use the media to discredit the other
> guys. This is business as usual, and I don't think a leopard can change his
> spots. I don't have a problem with any person having strong ideals and
> moral convictions, I respect a person who does, but I don't believe that
> the US should have a president that would force the country to live by the
> moral convictions of a small segment of society. If the Republicans can do
> no better than Buchannon, then it seems we are to have Clinton for another
> 4 years.
>
> Duane

Well, the 'small segment issue is the crux of US politics.  Only
about 40% of the eligible electorate votes, so no matter who wins,
only about 25% of the voters wind up making the decisions for the
whole country.  Not too fair even if you like the guy who wins!
theo
" Back to the earth I screamed, >   and no one listened to me.