Imaginos :Black & Silver

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Wed Feb 21 09:08:13 EST 1996

> There are few things more despicable to me than artists' being denied credit
> and/or
> money for their contributions.  From what I've read on this list and the FAQ,
> the original
> BOC guys (Eric, Buck, et al) sound like total shysters!
> If this is the case, then why are people on this list so hell-bent on
> supporting their
> sorry asses?

        Fair question.  For one, I'm not so familiar with the situation
that I feel like making moral judgements.  Furthermore, I don't really
want to have to associate music with the drawing of moral battlelines--
if BOC (whoever that may be) are going to make good music I'll listen.
        Yeah, they may be lazy asses incapable of doing anything new,
but the shows are cool as long as you keep enough time apart between
them to forget how similar they all are ;)

        Besides, it's all water under the bridge and spilt milk.
        Yeah, maybe if there had been a reconciliation after Imaginos,
and they had all got down to it, and Columbia had given the album a
big push, and this, and that ... then _maybe_ BOC would have made a big
comeback at the end of the 80s.  As long as they didn't crap out like
Aerosmith, that would have been fine by me.
        But there are a lot of factors there.
        As it is, are BOC drenched in money and fame?  Hardly.  Is it
their fault.  Most likely.  Would things have been different if they
had reconciled with Al, not stiffed him, and reformed the old lineup?
Or would Al just be banging his head against the wall while the boys
drifted around playing pizza parlors with their heads firmly wedged
in their rectums?  I mean, do Buck and Eric and the others really
_want_ to do anything new or interesting?  Firebrands, they are not.

        Unless the shape up, BOC are a nostalgia band, like it or not.
Alternatively, a glimpse of a blast from the past we never saw for
younglings like me who just learning to read when AoF came out.
Let's face it, since the band even started playing that handful of
"new" songs, other bands have come out with multiple albums (do
we know any bands from this list like that ;)

        But they can still be a good show.  I'm taking no bets on their
future one way or another.

Cheers,
Carl