Imaginos :Black & Silver

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Wed Feb 21 10:20:58 EST 1996

> Theo writes:
>
> >Nostalgia.
> A lot of us [and I must confess to this offense at times] just can't
> let go of the idea of the original BOC producing such great music.
>

> Wait a minute - let's everybody get one thing clear, and I apologize if
> my talk of what Imaginos "should have been" suggested this:
>
> THE ORIGINAL LINEUP WILL *NEVER* ALL GET TOGETHER AGAIN -- DON'T BOTHER
> WISHING FOR IT.  (o.k., I know, never say never but the probability is
> pretty low).  Don't anyone delude yourself in thinking that someday

Agreed.  My use of the term nostalgia was meant to be strictly past-
tense.  It's completely unlikely that a re-united BOC will ever
happen.  I was only indulging in speculation over what a complete
'Imaginos' trilogy with the original lineup might have been like.
Face it, it ain't ever gonna happen!
theo

> things might change.  What I had wished would have happened with
> Imaginos is something in the PAST - it is not something I have any
> hopes of seeing in the FUTURE.  All of the parties concerned have moved
> on in their lives and careers.  If you still want to listen to BOC, as
> I do, listen to them for what they ARE, with their current line-up --
> I'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy the old material, I'm just saying
> that don't think that someday Al and Joe will be playing it with the

Right again.  It's unfair to judge 3OC against the past
accomplishments of the original lineup.  That's gone, and it's time
to move on.  Go to 3OC concerts 'cause you like Erics stage personna
or appreciate Buck's and Allen's playing, and be content with that.

> 3 O C in the future.  And while you're enjoying BOC's nostalgia trip,
> hoping that someday they do put out new music (and I think it WILL
> happen, but with the current lineup, not the original), check out the
> great stuff that Albert has produced since leaving BOC -- the Brain
> Surgeons are a happening band that have a great modern heavy sound to
> them, and they're producing LOTS of new material (while still giving
> us a nice taste of some of Albert's best stuff from his BOC days).

I'm certainly willing to give a serious listen to a new 3 OC album.
Barring a repeat of CN, it should be pretty good.  I like the 'new'
songs, even if they're a little lightweight compared to the old
times.  Any record with Buck's guitar on it can't be too bad.  As for
tBS, I think their music stands on its own merit easily, and given
any kind of breaks, they should be a big force in music--IF they
aren't percieved as being dinosaurs.  Could be Al's connection to an
ancient heavy band like BOC could actually work to his disadvantage!

> I didn't mean to start such a big trip down memory lane when this
> thread first started, but I just want to be clear that these memories
> do NOT represent the future, or even my hopes for it.  So, even though
> I reminisce and think about what "should have been", when I come back
> to reality and look to the future, these "should have beens" are not
> what I expect will ever "be".
>
> John
Amen,
theo