Imaginos :Black & Silver

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Wed Feb 21 13:08:05 EST 1996

> I always thought that CBS didn't like Imaginos and would only release
> Imaginos if it was a BOC album.  And BOC was cooperating with CBS under the
> terms of their contract.   So how did they shaft Albert when they ultimately
> helped get his solo album released?  By grabbing credit for the album being a
> BOC album?  It seems to me that one must remember that Imaginos came out
> because of BOC.  No BOC, no Imaginos.

I think CBS would only back a new project if it was under the BOC
aegis.  Then, when they heard how wild the record was, they gave up
on  it as non-commercial.  MHO!  But--No Al, no 'Imaginos' either.
It certainly was his project.  Even if he needed the BOC name to make
the album, it's unfair for the band to try to consider it theirs.

> It seems to me that alot of the blame for all of this belongs with CBS.  Had
> they done what they should have, Imaginos would have been a VERY different
> creature.  I've heard Albert's version of Imaginos (at the Museum) and it is
> significantly different in both feel and texture.  It the original version
> better?  Hard to say.  I've listened to the BOC Imaginos a zillion times,
> Alberts version once.  It's different.  Better?  In some ways, sure.  In
> others, no.  Would Alberts version have been more successful and allowed for
> Imaginos 2?  Who knows?  I, for one, would LOVE to hear Imaginos 2 (and 3!!).
>

> Makes for great speculation...
>
> R.
Right on there.  CBS cowardice blew it.  If they had backed the
project properly--maybe even pressured the band to re-group with a
promise of heavy backing and front money.  Maybe things would have
turned out better.  Tough call...
theo