writing credits

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Wed Feb 21 14:18:44 EST 1996

> I thought that a writing credit was given for the lyrical content
> of the song, not necessarily for the music.  Is there a distinction?
> I had thought that the writer brings in the lyrical stuff, maybe
> some loose ideas on the music, and the rest of the band chimes
> in to flesh out a complete tune.  Is that way off?

        Well, it is not possible to tell from a writing credit who wrote
the lyrics and who wrote the music.  The writing credits are for the
song or piece--a combination of words, music, and whatever.

        Who gets mentioned on the writing credits depends on band policy.
As was mentioned, the Doors shared all writing credits.  In Tull, Ian
Anderson gets the writing credits almost exclusively, even though the
other band members will often contribute to the music.

Cheers,
Carl