writing credits

Stephen Swann swann at PHANTOM.COM
Wed Feb 21 15:29:05 EST 1996

> >  Pearlman wrote by far the largest part of the
> lyrics (at least in the early days), and the band wrote the music.  So
> when you see songwriting credits like S. Pearlman, D. Roeser,
> A. Bouchard, you can bet that Al and Buck wrote the tune, and Sandy
> wrote the lyrics.  Hey John, isn't this stuff in the FAQ?
>
> Well, no it isn't -- all I did was list the credits as they appeared
> on the albums, which don't indicate who did what.  Is it standard
> convention that the lyric-writer is listed first, followed by the
> writer of the music?

Now, that I wouldn't know.  I was just referring to what I thought was
a pretty well known fact around here on BOC-L, namely that Sandy did
the lyrics, and the other guys did the music.  I guess maybe I
shouldn't take it so much for granted, since I didn't know it myself
2 years ago.  But I was pretty sure that this has been hashed out
repeatedly on BOC-L, and I thought that everyone would have caught it
by now.

> As far as I know, just about all contributions by Pearlman, and probably
> also Meltzer were lyrics only.  But beyond that . . .

Yes, on both counts.  And that's all I was pointing out.  To get the
detailed story, you have to talk to the guys who were there.

Steve