writing credits

Andy Gilham AndyGilham at AOL.COM
Wed Feb 21 17:55:44 EST 1996

In a message dated 21/02/96  15:49:43, you write:

>As for the part about how demos work... I've heard a few of the band's
>demos (Al's and some others, like Buck's demo of "The Vigil"), and
>they were all pretty much finished, as far as songwriting goes.  I'm
>sure there's a chance for some last-minute creative input from the
>other band members, but those demos weren't "loose ideas" by any
>stretch - they were fully written songs.

In the case of "The Vigil", (as I understand it) Buck wrote the tune to a
Patti Smith lyric ("Devil's Hangnail"), but several in the band (plus Sandy
Roeser) didn't like that lyric, so Sandy R wrote a new one.  Hence SR gets a
credit and Patti doesn't.

I also guess that these deals vary from band to band - eg all the old
Motorhead stuff is credited to Kilmister/Clarke/Taylor, but I'll bet it was
mostly Lemmy.

- Andy