writing credits

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Thu Feb 22 08:15:12 EST 1996

> In your message dated Wednesday 21, February 1996 you wrote :
> > Morrison, interesting lyricist that he was, didn't write a lick of music for
> > the doors, that was all (or almost all) Manzaric (sp?).
> >      _
> >   | | \   *jbrooks at connectnet.com                   | "So Ladies, Fish
> >   | | <   *http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/1154|  and Gentlemen,here's
> > |_| |_/   *WALSTIB / Keep our Internet free!        |  my angled dream..."
>
> Beg to differ. OK Morrison didn't actually *play* an instrument, but several
> songs e.g. Moonlight Drive were presented in rehersal to the rest of the band as
> songs. Not poems or lyrics but with the melody already present. The rest of the
> band would then play the right chords etc. to the tunes that Jim had already
> composed.
> --
> Jon Browne                     They Walk Among Us.
>       http://www.demon.co.uk/comicshop/
> 25 years of social reform,
>     ain't gonna make me change or make me conform.

There was a good interview with Robbie in Guitar World a little while
back, and he said that Morrison [probably contrary to a lot of
preconceptions] always insisted that songwriting credits be
attributed to the whole band.  Although this did change for, I think,
Soft parade.  Jim liked the notion of band solidarity.  Robbie also
said a lot of nice things about Morrison.  How he got along really
well with him, Jim's respect for his ability etc.  Coolest thing was,
they asked Robbie if he anticipated Jim's early death.  Robbie said:
'no way, I always thought Jim'd live forever, that he was one of
those guys who could drink all they want, do anything, and not get a
scratch'[paraphrased of course]  Well, it would've been great if Jim
had lived.  I've always seen BOC as inheritors of at least part of
the Doors' mantle...
theo