OFF: Satriani

bart bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK
Thu Feb 22 13:29:29 EST 1996

>         See Satriani's name come up in connection with Imaginos,
> obviously, but didn't know he had anything to do with Deep Purple. I know
> almost nothing of the band, so I'll just ask, was he playing in `Smoke on
> the Water'? Or was this before/after his time?

No, no, Joe just filled in for Ritchie, on the last US tour was it ?

Besides, Jason, one of the resident boc-l DP heads would know more. Oi, Jason
where are you lurking ?

>         As for the man, well, I'm with Theo: good, but he ain't Buck. One
> guitarist friend of mine thinks he's the best thing ever, but I just hear
> a lot of notes that don't make music. Lots and lots of very skilful
> notes, sure, but it kind of misses the point of the guitar...

What ?? :-0  You can hardly lump Joe in with the truckload of widdly widdly
merchants like Malmsteen, Tafolla, Chastain etc who mainly have sunk without
trace. I reckon Satriani's work is considerably broader than most of theirs,
and displays a degree more thought/emotion/depth than a guitarist with his
eye on the speedo :)

> doesn't the
> OED definition of music have the word `rhthym' in it somewhere? Mind you,
> the only song I ever heard of his on the radio sounded all right. Can't
> remember the title though.

'Always with Me, Always with You'  Go take a listen, and see if your
opinion doesn't change. It is IMHO, one of _the_ definitive guitar
instrumentals ever put down on record.

> Anyway, my opinion.

Yeah, noted. :)

Tim

ObConfession: Uh, actually, I own an undue number of neoclassical fusion LPs