writing credits

Alex S. Garcia 101612.172 at COMPUSERVE.COM
Thu Feb 22 19:09:47 EST 1996

>In your message dated Wednesday 21, February 1996 you wrote :
>> > This varies from band to band.  Take the Doors.  All their early
>> > material was credited as being written by the whole band, while
>> > obviously Morrison was the key talent there.
>>
>>         Not necessarily true.  "Light My Fire" was Krieger, words and music,
>> except the keyboard intro which was written by, uh, the keyboard player,
>> whatever his name was (M-something).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Carl
>
>Nevertheless, It wasn't *quite* the same song sung by anyone else, was it?
>How about Shirley Bassey's version?

You're right, of course, but you seem to forget that what we are discussing
here, in this thread, is "writing credits"... not charisma or voice, or anything
else for that matter ! :-)

And while I'm here, I'll give my insights on the subject. I quite agree with
those of you who say that it depends on the bands. However, technically,
I have noticed that "songwriting credits" usually come into two formats.
First, there's the xxxxx / xxxxxx / xxxxx version, where you have no idea who
did what exactly - the format used by BOC. Then you have the
xxxxxx & xxxxxx / xxxxxxx  or  xxxxxxxxx / xxxxxxxx & xxxxxxxxx format, where
the slash now actually separates the lyrics writer(s) from the musci
writer(s). Now which side of the slash wrote what is anyone's guess !

Interesting thread, anyway...

Alex.