mining the same metal vein

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Fri Feb 23 09:35:08 EST 1996

> I've thought that maybe Buck et al are just convinced that their
> fortunes lay in more conventional material, the stuff that brought
> them a modicum of commercial success, c.f. 'Burnin' and 'Reaper.'
> They may believe that the few radio listeners who supported them
> briefly are going to keep them afloat.

        They've opened up this musical vein too many times, and it
seems like the poison may well be in their hearts and in their minds ...
They were after rebellion, but they'll settle for retread ...

> But isn't it clear [at least
> as viewed by the members of BOC-L] that BOC's best material is the
> macabre stuff, and that's what attracted the true die-hard fans
> who've stayed the course?  And of course, that's the Albert material,
> and he's gone.  Although I like the 'new' stuff okay, it pales in
> comparison to 'Imaginos.'

        Very true, though I think a lot of the internet BOC fans that
live off this list are more of the "BOC can do no ill" variety.  Still,
who wants to go to a lot of trouble hunting down a small, evasive band
to hear cheezy pop songs (which Buck leans _dangerously_ close to on
certain occasions).
        Remember all those rumors which drifted through a year or so
back about Buck saying he was having trouble coming up with songs that
were sufficiently "BOC-like"?  No mistake, Buck has come up with some
great BOC songs.  But maybe he needs to study the back catalogue some.
Even if you didn't like the Bad Channels lyrics, the music wasn't too
bad at all--love those mind-pummelling power chords on "Horsemen"! :)
Damn, if they can't come up with any better lyrics, just pick some nice
images out of Lovecraft, string 'em together, and you've got a fair
impression of a Pearlman lyric ;)

Cheers,
Carl