Buck hangin' ten

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Fri Feb 23 10:45:41 EST 1996

> Tim says:
>
> >If that's the case then maybe they should just pack it in
> completely. I'm just saying this apparent whoring of the band to the
> nostalgia circuit should be unpalatable to any member of the band who still
> considers they have artistic worth.
>
> Well, I disagree here.  If they're happy doing what they're doing, and
> they've got a few fans that want to show up and listen to the nostalgia
> bit (and I'll admit I'm one of them), then let them go for as long as
> they can.  Just don't expect anything from them.  If a new album happens,
> great, but if not, enjoy them for what they are, or don't listen.  We
> have the choice to listen or not, but if they want to keep doing what
> they're doing, then that's cool.
>
> I mean, how many people go to see the Beach Boys to hear new music?
>
> John
Yeah, but the thought of BOC reduced to that level is pretty
chilling.  Even more chilling, the Beach Boys play to sold out
football stadiums while BOC schleps around gin mills.  It's so sad to
think that they can't [apparently] come up with enough new material
for an album.  Sad too, that the 'new' songs have an awfully
similar  sound to CN material.  Or maybe they just refuse to swallow
their pride and work independetly on an album, without front money
from a major label.  Thing is, to do so, you have to take time off
the road, and they're 'on tour forever.' Maybe they're unwilling [or
unable to afford] to take time away from money-making to work on
their own?Yeah, a real step down, but at least if you go
the independent route you control the whole deal.  Hey, Al does
pretty much what the hell he wants.  Wonder who's happier?
theo