HW: SR II ramblings

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Fri Feb 23 12:57:03 EST 1996

On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, Bernhard Pospiech wrote:

> >this version of Time is unreal!
>
> Why? I can't see too much differences (It is one of my least favorite songs)

For me, _Time We Left This World Today_ is the defining moment of _Space
Ritual, Vol. 2_, and the reason I bought it.  In a lot of cases, time
extension does not add much to the track, but in this case I feel it adds
a lot.  It allows it to evolve and mutate much more, and to let it build
to a crescendo.  Missing, too, from the original _Space Ritual_ version
are little niceties like the cursory descent into "Paranoia" which takes
place in the _SRII_ version.  One of the great things about "Time..." is
the superb interplay between the rhythm elements, and the extended
version allows us to hear that and its evolution much better.  And, of
course, that says nothing about Lemmy's stellar work on the bass.

Still, I guess any song can leave someone cold.  So it goes...

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Shakti, _Natural Elements_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.