HW: Silver Machine

J Strobridge eset08 at CASTLE.ED.AC.UK
Fri Feb 23 13:53:43 EST 1996

> >         Wouldn't surprise me--he canned the Orb's "Silver Machine", after
> > all.  When DS bites it (can this happen soon enough?) maybe a lot of
> > cool stuff will get released ...
>
> Ok I'm looking for some information here. Who is this Doug Smith character?
> What is his relationship with HW and why doesn't he want their music
> released (or at least that's the impression BOC-L folks give ... )?

I'll try and stick to facts here as I know 'em and let others add any
colour they might be aware of!

Doug Smith was manager for Hawkwind when they first started way back in
1970... sommat or another.   Then he stopped being their manager but
took up the role again - at Dave Brock's invitation (so I understand)
after the break up in 1977.   He was therefore there during the
Hawklords period but I don't know for how long thereafter.   At any rate
he took over management again fairly recently, and is behind a fair
amount of the marketing side of things (I phoned once and found myself
talking to "Doug Smith Enterprises").

He seems to be many things and since I've had little contact with the
guy I'll steer clear of any serious comments but, purely in my
imagination, I've always envisaged him as the sort of "Arthur Daley"
type with serious undertones.

jill

obcaveat>  I could be wrong -  I have been before!

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at castle.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk