Buck hangin' ten

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Fri Feb 23 14:17:57 EST 1996

> > Well, I've heard that Buck has wanted to fold up the BOC banner for a
> > long time now; apparently he wants to write more pop material
>
>         And perhaps this would entertain him in his dotage, but _who_
> besides die-hard Buck-fans would _buy_ this?  People who are fans based on

Right.  Or collectors who must simply have anything under any aspect
of the BOC aegis.

> the "hit" tunes like "Reaper" or "BFU" simply won't care enough to hunt
> down a obscure pop release by their author.  Fans of the heavy, twisted

Right, and good ridance to them!

BOC might like Buck just fine, but will probably vote with their wallets
> elsewhere.  Which will leave a handfull of Buck-fans saying "Really, it's
> not so bad!  Some of it I really like--listen to this really tasteful
> guitar break! Really!" ;)

Well said!  Again, the die-hards will buy it, and desperately try to
convince themselves they like it!

>         BOC is primarily attracting nostaligia fans and people who like
> weird heavy rock.  And if Buck does a post-/non-BOC project it will need
> to buy into that.

I've said it again and again.  Al's more in touch with BOC's fans
than they are.  That's why he puts out challenging stuff while BOC
keeps mining the same arid tracts desperatly hoping the raio crowd
will find them.  Good luck with that one, they've all 'grown up' and
moved on to, who, Cheryl Crow?

>         I mean, _Flat Out_.  Case in point.  I think it's reputation would
> suffer more if it hadn't been so obscure for so long.  "Yeah," people say,
> "It was OK, really.  That one about the heart--pretty freaky, huh?"

Again, a good record, at least in points.  Hell, it's better than CN.
 But an embarassment alongside ST.

>         But is it as good as _ST_?  _CE_ or _FoUO_? _Imaginos?_
>         _Trepanation_?
>
>         Well, far be it from me to keep someone from doing what they
> want with their time ...
>
> Cheers,
> Carl
True enough, but it sounds like a career [of evil] killer to me!
theo